Monday, June 22, 2009

Pre-Operative assessment

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing OK!! I had my first visit from my new carer this morning and it went really well. She helped me to get up washed and dressed and helped me get my breakfast etc which was great as ive been really struggling - especially since i am now one - armed!!! The cake worked for my neighbours son by the way - it was a noah's ark cake with edible marzipan animals though the icing was a tad iffy as i had to do it one-armed lol!!! It went down very very well though lol!!! Anyways back to this morning - I then had an assessment from my key carer who did a list of my meds and everything i need help with etc!!

I then rushed to my pre - op assessment and arrived a bit late - to get told off oops!! She did my blood pressure which was fine - i then had my oxygen levels done which were ok at 96% she sent me for bloods as she wanted to see what my theophylinne level and haemoglobin levels were as i have been very anaemic. She also wanted me to have spirometry tests done to see if my lung function was ok and listened to my heart and lungs. Lungs were ok for me and heart was fine. Unfortunatly my spirometry results started off not very good and got gradually worse the more blows i had to do as my chest got more tight! So my final results were an FEV1 of 49%, FVC of 44%, VC of 57% and peak flow of 58%! These are slightly low and I am rather well at the moment so it has sent them a little twitchy on the ward as they dont normally deal with any brittle asthmatics! It also took ages to get blood from me and my almost non-existant veins -thankfully they got enough....eventually!!!I am hoping that it wont stop them getting on with the op tomorrow.

Sooooo, I have to be at the ward for 7am in the morning (which means getting a taxi at 6.15am!!!) i think im going in my PJ's lol!!!! I have to take a suitcase with my overnight stuff in as they will probably keep me overnight if i do have the op tomorrow!!

Anyways i will keep you all posted but hopefully it will all go ahead without any problems tomorrow!

Take care everyone, speak soon,
Lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad your new help is being useful and hope your op goes well. Take care and let us know how you are when you can. Big hugs. Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the op goes well and you're back home soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's wonderful to know you are being taken care of! i will pray for your hassle-free operation and for your fast recovery.
    hope to hear from your shortly...
    god speed!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone!!! im waiting to go down to theatre now-gotta see anaethetist first but all being well im first on the list!

    speak soon. lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope everything goes okay with the op! I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope it all went ok hun im worried i not heard form you. take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey hun - I'm thinking of you and praying that everything went well. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi rattles!!!
    how are you, did the ops went well? are you still in the hospital or recuperating at home?
    i'm praying for you rapid recovery, ok?
    love ya,
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete