Hi All,
Well, what can I say - its been a bit of a mad month. I cant quite get my head around how poorly I was at times during this admission and can say that a lot of the time I was very frightened which I don't often feel frightened by my asthma after having had it almost all my whole life. A few times its difficult when there are doctors that don't know you and presume that its not asthma and its just hyperventilation or some other disordered breathing etc - I thankfully don't get that very often. I seen to only get that sort of response when my chest is grumbly on and off for a while - like during this admission. It took a while to get things stabilised and then I was OK for a while, then i was poorly again and the cycle just kept repeating - this frustrates doctors as they don't feel that they are getting anywhere and then they start wanting to do other tests to find out what is happening etc etc - monitoring signs of inflammation and flow loops etc etc - but when everything points towards your asthma being a pain they still seem at a loss! What next ????
Well - whats next is that something has to be proven! I'm just glad (in a way - it sounds strange!) That things got rough again as when they did my oxygen levels on my blood gas were only 6 and my carbon dioxide levels were high! The doctors gave me magnesium and aminophyline (the magnesium is a total red herring in it all as by itself it does nothing except make my heart race and give me hot and cold flashes!!) It took a while to get a bed on the ICU about an hour and a half - once up there i was a lot better and felt like a fraud as the theophyline had started to work - next blood gas was millions of times better showing four times more oxygenation in my blood so theophyline is a really important drug for my control. After this finding it was noted that slight dips in therapeutic level of the theophyline resulted in a total lack of symptom control and another flare up- with bad arterial blood gas results!
I finally have the proof that the theophyline really does help tonnes when I'm poorly which is a great breakthrough!! though i do think that whenever i have admissions that are up and down i am gonna have a few problems with doctors thinking its asthma plus something else - the latest one was a kicker - love it - disordered breathing due to panic..... yes ok!!! Test for ya here, for those non-asthmatics out there - Go out for a jog (round the block or something just till your out of breath and your heart is racing enough for you to be able to feel it a bit in your chest- everyone is different so if your really fit this will take longer i know that so sorry if your a marathon runner lol!!!) OK once you stop running breath in normally but out through a straw to get your breath back. A thick milkshake straw (like those you get with take aways) are like more mild asthma symptoms and thin straws are more like the more severe symptoms. OK, So how long did you manage that before you gave up and got your breath back normally? Could you hack that feeling for long?? Did you panic?? if you could only get your breath back that way, how long would it take you to get to a state of panic - whether it be a little or very frightened??
I think that has illustrated my point. If you dont panic i dont think your normal lol!! It is a very natural response to panic a little bit when you cannot get your breath so i dont think some doctors help when they say that during an attack you have disordered breathing due to panic in an asthma attack - id like to see them struggle for several hours and get no sleep for a few days struggling and see how some of them fair after that - but thats just me and my feelings on some - not all but some judgemental doctors who did make things worse at some parts of this admission by stalling on giving life saving drugs - which on some occassions could have prevented an ICU admission if given quicker!!!
Sorry anyway - i went off on a total tangent there!! I am home since yesterday evening - I got home at about 8pm. My carer came this morning to help me shower dress and sort meds out etc and then left me to rest.
Today has been a quiet day of sleep and rest but i did have to get a few things sorted from my GP and chemist so did those this afternoon.
Im going to go to bed in a little while - I promise to catch up on all my blogs on my reading list and catch up on some posts on here in the next couple of days so expect a few posts in the next few days just to catch you all up on what has been happening!!
I hope your all doing ok. Take care and i hope people are all avoiding catching the curly tail and snouts!! please take care especially those of you who have other health conditions!!
Lotsa lv and speak soon Xxxxx
Acceptance
10 years ago







Hey don't be rushing to get through all the blogs - get the rest that you need and don't be over-doing it.....now listen to me :)
ReplyDeleteTheophylline is great isn't it. Always makes me puke like mad but still its good stuff LOL.
Its so nice to hear from you and I'm glad you are finally back home. Take care hun.
Louise x
Finally!!! iam glad you are back home, and iam glad the doctors did lots to test to see what is wrong and what better drug to use for you. i hope things wont be as scary as it has been.
ReplyDeleteyes, rest and more rest. take your time and sleep a lot, ok?
welcome back!!!
love you,
xoxoxoxox
Good to ahve you home and good to speak to you today. hugs hun xxx
ReplyDeleteHi Louise,
ReplyDeleteYeh, Theophyline is a fabulous drug!! Its taken ages to work out that my levels were dipping every few weeks low enough to cause me symptoms and flaring my asthma up! I take theophyline tablets everyday routinely but they have adjusted the dose in the hope that i will have some stability for longer now!!
I had a rough day today really, stopped in bed as i just didnt feel very well at all! My carer just helped me get changed into clean PJ's this am and changed my bedding - my key worker is absolutly fantastic - she really is - i dont know what id do without her to be honest - i never want to have to struggle the way i was before she started to help - i cant believe how much i did struggle before and cant believe i did it for so long as i didnt want to cause a fuss!! Crazy!!
Are you asthmatic too louise?
Hope your well Speak soon hon
Lotsa lv Rattles Xxx
Hi Odette,
ReplyDeleteI got home on Thursday yes!! Its great to be home Im very tired and not feeling to great today but i am ok and with P (my key carer's) help i am managing to stay at home! The nausea is still terrible - Im using itra-muscular injections for it daily and can use 3 a day if i need to - i have been using them as little as possible as they sting and bruise an awful lot!!
I am slowly catching up with my reading list but it is taking me a while though as i am still not feeling great, :-( I hope that you are well odette and i promise i will be on form again soon :-)
Take care and speak soon Lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx
Wheezy Tux -
ReplyDeleteIt was great talking to you last night to hon, A good natter always makes me feel better!!
Hope your day has been good - not too busy!!!
Speak soon Lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx
Gemma & Ralph
ReplyDeleteI havent forgotten about that e-mail address, now that I am out of hospital i can sort it out a lot easier and will post as soon as i have sorted it - in the meantime do you write a blog? I can always leave you messages on your blog in the meantime - either that or if you keep checking on here i will write the odd message on here for you in the interim bit!!
I hope that you are doing well! Thanks for comment on my page too - I love it!!
It was designed by louise from write from the heart - follow the link on my page to hers - she does free blog makeovers for people who write a blog about living with a long term condition or who are writing for therapy etc!!
She is totally amazing!! I said i liked bagpuss and hello kitty and then gave her free reign to be creative - this page is her work from those few details!! I love it - from the second she had uploaded it - it is very me!!!
:-)
Check her page out - she really is fab!!
Also check out my reading list - Joey writes an amazing blog on living with brittle asthma and fibromyalgia and ME - living with brittle asthma, there is also BeckyG's blog - the antics of a brittle asthmatic.
Another fantastic blog is Odettes - a view from above - she always makes me think, she writes beautifully i love reading her blog - i admire her so much she truely is an amazing lady!!
All the blogs on my reading list are fab and i think that the folks who write them are amazing the ones ive listed are the ones which more recently have jumped at me, made me think or made me question some part or parts of my life recently.
Take care - i hope to get to know you better in the next few months watch this space for a contact e-mail or something similar soon
Lotsa lv Rattles Xxxx
Glad to see that you're home and feeling better! Sorry to hear that you got some shitty docs though, I always seem to attract those ones!
ReplyDeleteI'll be disappearing now until Aug 14th when my internet comes back up...Keep well and I'll talke to you once I've moved!